Prsident's Communication: February - 2017
Dear Fellow Members,
Assalamu-alaikum and greetings to you all.
This is the month of historic language movement. The spirit of Amor Ekushey gives us inspiration to stand against odds. It is the testimony of our love of our mother tongue and passion for our own culture and heritage since time immemorial, which has been recognized as 'International Mother Language Day'.
With this prelude, may I congratulate the 37 newly qualified CAs who succeeded in their best endeavours and joined this noble profession. You stood out from many, but I must remind you that this is only the beginning. You must maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills to serve better. You must always act with honesty, integrity and professional independence in all situations.
Let me now focus on some of the major activities of his month. This month saw a number of training and workshops as detailed below:
Training for the Audit of the Union Parishad: The Orientation & Training Programme on “Financial Audit, Performance Assessment, Fiduciary & Safeguards Compliance Assessment” for Audit of the Union Parishad was held at ICAB on 7 February 2017. Abdul Malek, Secretary, Local Government Division, Ministry of LGRD & Cooperatives, GoB was the Chief Guest at the inauguration. Along with me, Iqramul Haque, Additional Secretary & National Project Director, Mohammad Yah-Ya Bhuiyan, DPD, LGSP-2, LGD and Ajit Kumar Paul FCA, Secretary, BIDA attended the programme. The training programme continued 7 to 11 February 2017. On a request from the project Management Unit (PMU) of the LGSP-2, ICAB organized the Orientation & Training Programme for the audit firms, Reviewer firms and District Facilitators. A total number of 1414 students from audit and reviewer firms and 64 district facilitators attended the training sessions.
Workshop on FRA: Opportunities for Showcasing the Professional Excellence: ICAB organized Workshop on "FRA: Opportunities for Showcasing the Professional Excellence" on 8 February 2017 at its training room. A total number of 50 participants took part in the Workshop. I attended the concluding session along with Vice President (E&T) and Senior Fellow Member Ajit Kumar Paul FCA.
Training Programme on International Financial reporting Standards: ICAB organized Training Programme on "International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)" for the Officials of ACI Godrej Agrovet Private Limited from 25 February to 25 March 2017. The programme covers several aspects of BAS & IFRS, BFRS. I thank the resource persons namely Sabbir Ahmed FCA, Snehasish Barua FCA, Wasequl Huq Reagan FCA, Mohammad Salahuddin Chowdhury FCA, Associate Professor, University of Dhaka and Sk. Md. Tarikul Islam FCA for sharing their valuable time. Training on Financial Reporting and Audit: Certificate awarding ceremony of the five day long training on "Financial Reporting and Audit" for Bangladesh Municipal Development Fund (BMDF) Officials was held on 16 February, 2017 at ICAB. I thank Mr. Md. Humayun Kabir FCA, Past President and Council Member-ICAB who awarded the certificates while Ajit Kumar Paul FCA, Additional Secretary, Govt. of Bangladesh was present in the programme.
Accounting BPO Seminar: Mr. Muhammed Farhad Hussain FCA, Past President and Council Member-ICAB participated as a panel speaker in a seminar on “Accounting BPO: the hidden opportunity” organized by BASIS on 4 February 2017, at BICC, Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka in BASIS SoftExpo 2017. The aim of the seminar was to showcase BPO opportunities for accounting firms.
ICAB organized Amor Ekushey: DRC-ICAB organized an art competition and poetry recitation for children and a discussion on Amor Ekushey. Veterans Language movement activists Dr, Jasim Uddin Ahmed, Dr. Mirza Mazharul Islam and Abdul Karim Pathan were present at the occasion and showed their extra ordinary and stirring experiences. Also, in the morning, a team from ICAB placed floral wreaths at Central Shaheed Minar as part of the observance of International Mother Language Day and Language Martyr Day.
Meetings of Council and Standing & Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees: The following meetings of the Council, Standing and Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees of ICAB were held during the month of February 2017:
- 3rd Meeting of the Council was held on 15 February 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Articled Students Committee (ASC) was held on 20 February 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Examination Committee was held on 22 February 2017 at 11:00 am.
- 4th Council Meeting (Urgent) was held on 22 February 2017 at 1:00 pm.
- 5th Council Meeting was held on 27 February 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Technical Research Committee (TRC) was held on 28 February 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Advisory Committee was held on 9 February 2017 at 7:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Information & Communication Technology Committee (ICTC) was held on 12 February 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Taxation and Corporate Laws Committee (TCLC) was held on 16 February 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Committee for Amendment of CA Order & Bye-Laws was held on 19 February 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Editorial Board (EB) was held on 23 February 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Taxation and Corporate Laws Committee (TCLC) was held on 23 February 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Real Estate Committee (REC) was held on 25 February 2017 at 4:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Media & Branding Committee was held on 25 February 2017 at 5:30 pm.
With best wishes to all,
Adeeb Hossain Khan FCA