President's Communication: July 2017
Dear Fellow Members,
Assalamu Alaikum and greetings to you all.
My dear colleagues and fellow members of the Institute, I have passed seven months of my presidency and they have been quite eventful. Only when one sites in this "Chair does one realise the amount of effort office bearers and executive team have to put in just keep everyday operations going. My heartfelt gratitude to the members of the Council and the executive team for their support and tireless efforts. Let me update you on the important activities in the month of July.
A teleconference between ICAB and CA Worldwide (CAW) was held on 12 July 2017 where Ms. Ruth Hidalgo, Senior Manager, CA Worldwide and I had a conversation on various professional issues. ICAB Secretary Maj Gen Mohammad Imrul Quayes (Retd) and Director (Technical) Mahbub Ahmed Siddique FCA were also present during the conference.
Ms. Hidalgo briefed about the background of CA Worldwide including business plan 2017, branding of CAW, its membership & associates strategies and objectives, key meetings & events like board meeting, CEO meeting, benefits and individual membership of CAW, etc. She also focused on ICAB’s participation in upcoming event like CEO meeting in August in Mumbai hosted by The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
I briefed about ICAB and put emphasis on the common avenues for working together in coming days. I believe our collaboration with CAW will take ICAB to greater heights in the years to come.
To discuss various professional matters, I led an ICAB delegation to a courtesy call on C. Q. K. Mustaq Ahmed, the first chairman of Financial Reporting Council (FRC) on 17 July 2017 at his office. The other members of the delegation were ICAB Vice President Mr. Mostafa Kamal FCA, Past Presidents & Council Members Mr. M Farhad Hussain FCA & Mr. Kamrul Abedin FCA, Secretary Major General Mohammad Imrul Quayes (Retd) and Director (Technical) Mr. Mahbub Ahmed Siddique FCA. We discussed future course of actions and structural formation of newly formed Financial Reporting Council (FRC), etc. The FRC Chairman requested ICAB for necessary cooperation for smooth functioning of the oversight body. We welcomed the new chairman and said we shall work together for development of financial reporting in the country.
A Delegation from ICAB participated in a meeting with the World Bank at its Dhaka Office on 13 July 2017 for formal closure of Investment Development Fund (IDF) project ‘Strengthening Financial Reporting Framework and Audit Practice’. The meeting expressed full satisfaction over successful implementation of the project by ICAB which started in July 2014. Earlier in different event at Hotel Pan Pacific Sonargaon, Project Advisor Mr. Burhanuddin Ahmed FCA made a presentation on the implementation of the project and it was highly appraised by the audience. Lead Financial Management Specialist Ms. Suraiya Zannath Khan FCA and Financial Management Specialist Mr. Mohammad Atikuzzaman FCA were present in the meeting. Ms. Suraiya Zannath Khan FCA advised ICAB to explore new avenues where ICAB and WB could work together under a new project especially on improvement of audit practices in the country and the matters connected therewith.
The ICAB delegation was comprised of Vice Presidents Mr Mostafa Kamal FCA & Mr Mahamud Hosain FCA, Council Members Mr Dewan Nurul Islam FCA, Mr Md. Shahadat Hossain FCA, Mr Mahmudul Hasan Khusru FCA, Secretary Maj Gen Muhammad Imrul Quayes (Retd.), Project Director & former Secretary Mr AKM Rahmatullah FCA, Project Consultant & Fellow Member Mr Burhanuddin Ahmed FCA, Director (Technical) Mr Mahbub Ahmed Siddique FCA.
Meetings of Council and Standing & Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees
The following meetings of the Council, Standing and Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees of ICAB were held during the month of July 2017:
- 7th Meeting of the Investigation & Disciplinary Committee (IDC) was held on 15 July 2017 at 11:00 am.
- 3rd Meeting of the Human Resource (HR) Committee was held on 17 July 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 11th Meeting of the Council was held on 25 July 2017 at 4:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Technical Research Committee (TRC) was held on 26 July 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 4th Meeting of the Information & Communication Technology Committee (ICTC) was held on 12 July 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Standing and Non-standing Sub-committees:
- 1st Meeting of the Working Group regarding Public Sector & Corporate and Business Houses and liaison with different Ministries, Govt and Chamber Bodies of Professional Development Committee (PDC) was held on 11 July 2017 at 5:30 p.m.
- 2nd Meeting of the Working Group on Professional issues related to Non-Government Organization (NGOs) and MFIs of Professional Development Committee (PDC) was held on 12 July 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 5th Meeting of Renovation Committee was held on 13 July 2017 at 3:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Working Group on Professional issues related to Banks and Financial Institutions of Professional Development Committee (PDC) was held on 17 July 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the ERP Project Steering Committee of Information & Communication Technology Committee (ICTC) was held on 19 July 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 3rd Meeting of the Working Group on exploring job opportunity for professionals and combating/addressing professional threats of Professional Development Committee (PDC) was held on 26 July 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of NGO Sub-committee of Review Committee for Published Accounts & Reports (RCPAR) was held on 30 July 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- 1st Meeting of Information & Communication Technology Committee (ICTC) was held on 31 July 2017 at 3:30 pm.
With best wishes to all
Adeeb Hossain Khan FCA