President's Communication: May 2017
Dear Fellow Members,
Asalamu Alaikum and greetings to you all.
In this month ICAB organised a number of vigorous trainings and workshops for the members, stakeholders and the regulatory bodies including Bangladesh Bank and held meetings with ministries and regulatory bodies to discuss professional issues.
A 25-day long training programme on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) was organized by ICPE for the officials of Bangladesh Bank at ICAB Training Room. A total of 35 senior officials from the Bangladesh Bank participated in the programme. Certificate awarding ceremony of the training programme was held on 23 May 2017 where Mr. Md. Abdul Mannan, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Commerce was the Chief Guest and Mr. AKM Aftabul Islam FCA, Director, Board of Directors, Bangladesh Bank chaired the programme. Mr. Md. Muslem Uddin, Executive Director, Bangladesh Bank was the Special Guest while Qazi Enayet Hussain, General Manager, Bangladesh Bank was present as guest of honour.
ICPE has organized another Workshop on ICAEW Pathway Membership for ICAB Members on 8 May 2017 at ICPE training room. 120 members participated in the programme. ICAB Vice Presidents Mr. Mostafa Kamal FCA, Mr. Md. Mahamud Hosain FCA, Secretary Major General Muhammad Imrul Quayes (retd.) and Director (Technical) Mr. Mahbub Ahmed Siddique FCA were present at the inauguration session of the training. Mr. Justin West, Head of New Business Opportunities, ICAEW was the resource person. The training was organized under joint collaboration programme with ICAEW.
A workshop on New VAT Act 2012 and Rules 2016 - Highlights and Challenges was organized by ICPE on May 2017 at ICAB Auditorium where 60 members participated. I inaugurated the first session. At the end of the workshop ICAB Vice President Mr. Mostofa Kamal FCA distributed the certificates to the trainees. The resource persons of the training were Mr. Muhammad Mehedi Hasan FCA and First Secretary, VAT, NBR Dr. Md. Abdur Rouf.
The CFOs Conferences on Evaluation Criteria for SAFA Best Presented Accounts Award was organized by ICAB with participation of the Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) from Banking, Insurance and Non Banking Financial Institutions (NBIs) on 13 May and CFOs from manufacturing, public sectors, NGOs and other entities on 14 May 2017 at the Council Hall. Co-Chairman of Review Committee of Published Accounts & Reports Mr. Md. Shahadat Hossain FCA, ICAB nominated SAFA IT Committee member Mr. Dewan Nurul Islam FCA, Council Member & Past President Mr. Nasir Uddin Ahmed FCA and Council Member Mr. Nesaruddin Ahmed FCA were present in the programme. The conference was arranged for the CFOs to make them conversant with the SAFA evaluation criteria for ICAB BPA Awards 2016.
Besides, the trainings and workshops ICAB continues to work with government and regulatory bodies to discuss emerging professional matters. A joint meeting between ICAB and Microcredit Regulatory Authority (MRA) was held on 23 May 2017 at the Conference Room of Microcredit Regulatory Authority office. Mr. Amalendu Mukherjee, Executive Vice Chairman (EVC) of Microcredit Regulatory Authority (MRA) presided over the meeting while ICAB Council Member & Chairman, Professional Development Committee (PDC) Mr. Muhammad Farooq FCA led the ICAB team. Other members of the ICAB team were Secretary Major General Muhammad Imrul Quayes, (Retd.), Fellow Members & Members PDC Mr. Mohiuddin Ahmed FCA, Mr. Fokrul Alam Patwary FCA and Mr. Abdullah Al Mamun ACA. Mr. Mohammad Farooq FCA, team leader of ICAB assured the MRA that the ICAB would extend all out cooperation regarding the audit of organizations under MRA and would take the initiatives including a workshop for the auditors of MRA.
On 28 May 2017a five-member team nominated by ICAB participated in a meeting with the Acting Secretary, Ministry of Commerce Subhasish Basu on draft Company Act 2016 at conference room at the Ministry of Commerce. The members of the team were ICAB Council Member & Past President Mr. Md. Humayun Kabir FCA, Vice President Mr. Mostafa Kamal FCA, Council Member Mr. Md. Shahadat Hossain FCA, Secretary Maj Gen Imrul Quayes (Retd.), Director (Technical) Mr. Mahabub Ahmed Siddique FCA. They placed ICAB’s proposals regarding the new Act and discussed matters connected therewith.
A delegation from ICAB held a meeting with the Member & Acting Chairman of Insurance Development & Regulatory Authority (IDRA) Gokul Chandra Das at his office on 25 May 2017. The members of the ICAB delegation were Council Member Mr. Mohammad Farooq FCA, Senior Fellow Members Mr. Mohammed Forkan Uddin FCA, Mr. Selim Reza FCA, Mr. Mohammed Sabir Ahmed FCA, Mr. Mohammad Shibbir Hossain FCA and ICAB Secretary Maj Gen Imrul Quayes(Retd). They discussed various professional matters including audit reports and recruitment of CFOs in Insurance companies.
We express our deep sorrow at the sad demise of Mr. Md. Mukhlisur Rahman Khan FCA (Enrl. No. 214), a senior Chartered Accountant and Proprietor, M R Khan & Co., Chartered Accountants who died on 13 May 2017 (Innah Lillahe... Rajeun). On behalf of the Council I sent a condolence letter to the bereaved family and prayed for eternal pace to the departed soul.
Meetings of Council and Standing & Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees
The following meetings of the Council, Standing and Non-standing Committees and Sub-committees of ICAB were held during the month of May 2017:
- 5th Meeting of the Investigation & Disciplinary Committee (IDC) was held on 6 May 2017 at 4:00 pm.
- 6th Meeting of the Investigation & Disciplinary Committee (IDC) was held on 20 May 2017 at 3:00 pm.
- 9th Meeting of the Council was held on 22 May 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Articled Students Committee (ASC) was held on 24 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Review Committee for Published Accounts & Reports (RCPAR) was held on 3 May 2017 at 6:30 pm.
- 4th Meeting of the Taxation and Corporate Laws Committee (TCLC) was held on 4 May 2017 at 6:30 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Committee for Amendment of CA Order & Bye-laws was held on 9 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Real Estate Committee (REC) was held on 14 May 2016 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Committee on Professional Accountants in Business (PAIB) was held on 17 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Project Development & Implementation Committee (PDIC) was held on 23 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Public Finance and Public Sector Accounting was held on 30 May 2017 at 3:30 pm.
Standing and Non-standing Sub-committees:
- 2nd Meeting of the Working Group of Professional Development Committee (PDC) for BSEC, DSE, CSE, RJSC and BIDA was held on 02 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Working Group of Professional Development Committee (PDC) for Insurance was held on 03 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 3rd Meeting of the Real Estate Committee (REC) Sub-committee regarding to renovation work was held on 14 May 2016 at 4:00 pm.
- 4th Meeting of the 8-Member Council Sub-Committee Regarding to Qualifications of other Institutes/organizations was held on 15 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 1st Meeting of the Working Group of Professional Development Committee (PDC) for Tax and VAT was held on 16 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the 10-Member Articled Students Sub-committee was held on 17 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- 2nd Meeting of the Working Group of Professional Development Committee (PDC) for Professionals and Combating/Addressing Professional Difficulties was held on 25 May 2017 at 6:00 pm.
With best wishes.
Adeeb Hossain Khan FCA